Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Olympic Excitment?

I was asked recently, by one of my readers about the weather, the people, and if there is any excitement from them. Also if I had heard any conversations or talked to anyone here in London about the Olympic Games.

First of all, the weather. It hasn't been too bad here yet.mit rained a bit on Sunday but raining here is different than raining in the Midwest. I was caught in a downpour while walking and a few hours later it rained again. This happened while I was out in the Westminster area and fortunately had just received my umbrella with my uniform. I do not like using umbrellas at all, I'm not sure why, but I held out as long as I could but finally it was just raining too hard and I had to bring it out. Yesterday was cooler with no rain, but today it's going to rain. It's been misting all morning and there is an 80% chance.

On to the people. There is a general excitement here in London for the Olympic Games, I'm sure there was much more excitement on Friday night when the opening ceremonies took place. There is probably also more excitement nearer to the venues and read that competition is taking place. I am not staying extremely far from competitions, but far enough where it would be possible to go the whole Olympics without knowing they are here in London. There are signs at pubs saying "Watch Olympics here" but aside from that and souvenirs there is no indication that the Olympics are taking place. I haven't had conversations with anyone about the Olympics since my first day.

When I fist arrived and was speaking with the customs officer at the airport he was telling me about the opening ceremonies. He had enjoyed them very much and thought that England put on a good show. He told me I would probably enjoy it but that it was "very British". He seemed quite excited that his country was hosting these Olympics. I did talk to a security guard at the Westminster abbey gift shop. He told me to have fun and enjoy my time here, but he just wanted to know why I was here, I had been walking around with my hosts and he wanted to know if we had come to London together. He was more interested in the why and how of my visit than anything else.

When I went out this morning I expected there to be a little more excitement about the games, especially considering the men's gymnastics team had just won England their first medal in the sport in 100 years, but nothing. Life just goes on.

I haven't made any plans for tomorrow as far as sightseeing, I should make some I think. but on Thursday I will be going to the Olympics village and hopefully there will be more excitement in that area of the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment