Wednesday, July 25, 2012

2.5 Days to Go


Today marks two days until I board a plane to go to London so I can volunteer for the Olympics. Yesterday I said goodbye to my parents and for the time I have until my flight I will be packing, cleaning, and doing all sorts of other preparations.Yesterday my parents took me to dinner before their own trip to Atlanta to pick up my little sister. It was great to spend time with them and of course felt
completely comfortable until they dropped me back off at the UWM dorms, which have been my home for the summer. While saying goodbye I suddenly felt very sad and lonely. It dawned on me that for all other trips I have made one or both of my parents have been there for the initial departure. At least I typically see them on the day I leave.

This time is different.

They left first and when I move out of the dorms I will be going home to an empty house, not counting the dogs, and it will be eerily quiet. I will pack my suitcase with no one around to get advice about my clothing, what I shouldn't travel without, or what I should most definitely leave behind. I'm sure this is a
common traveling process for most people, to pack without input from others, or on their own, and while my parents do not pack for me, they have always been in the house. My family is close, so it will be quite a different send off as I embark on one of the most important trips of my career/life.

Bittersweet you could say. Despite being thoroughly excited, and having knowledge of multiple people and families praying for me, this is a different way to experience leaving the country. Right now I don't like it. 

On the bright side I should be able to get my to do list completed without interruption. 

No comments:

Post a Comment