Monday, July 30, 2012

First Olympic Volunteer Experience

On Sunday I woke up pretty late, due to staying up very late and the time difference. Once I had "breakfast" I took the tube with Cassie and her family as I started my journey to the Uniform and Accreditation Center to pick up my ID and uniform.

The tube ride was uneventful and not too long. Once I got off at Canning Town I had to walk a little ways to wear the pick up center was. I did not realize that the DLR (docklands light rail), another train, stopped right in front of where I needed to be. So of course, on my walk, I got lost.

It really was a simple walk and I knew I walked right past the street I had to turn on. I looked down the unidentified road and thought "wow that road looks shady"' there was no one walking down the street, which in London is rare; and I walked past it. I was by myself and slightly scared of walking down that road myself. But finally I had no choice because the place I needed to be was down there. I pulled out my ipad every now and the to look at the map and would get nervous about the area and put it away quickly. So I finally got there and got my ID, and uniform. My ID picture looks pretty much like a mug shot, very similar to the athlete photos that have been popping up.

After getting everything I needed I met Cassie, her dad, and her sister again at Westminster. We just walked around and took photos of Parliament, Westminster Abbey, the London Eye, Big Ben and other sites in the area. During our time out it rained quite a bit somit was good i had picked up my uniform as i got an umbrealla with it. When I left them, because my bags were getting heavy from carrying everything I got when picking up my uniform, I got some groceries and went back to the flat to skype my family.

Overall it was a good day despite fearing for my life when walking to pick up my uniform.

No comments:

Post a Comment