Thursday, November 10, 2011

Offers Made, Offers Pending

September started with moving into my new apartment downtown Milwaukee and getting into a routine with school, work, and living downtown. I liked having an apartment (which I share with two other girls my age) so close to my school and work. It made the two things less stressful without such a long commute. Before living downtown Milwaukee I had a 45 minute commute one way every day, now my commute is cut down to 15 minutes, sometimes 20, which is so much better.
My professors loaded assignments on students right away, fortunately a few of my classes I had previously taken at my first college. UWM was having me re-take them to fully immerse me in the designed schedule they have for Athletic Training students. But due to the repeating of material these courses didn’t seem too difficult.
Soon my job was having me teach ballet classes as a substitute. This ended after about a month, when the original teacher returned from maternity leave, but every now and then I have the opportunity to substitute teach again when needed. I do enjoy teaching, which I never thought I would, but it is fun. I hope as the year progresses I will be given more opportunities to teach.
Even with my busy schedule it had not escaped my notice that it was now September and successful Olympic Volunteer applicants would be receiving news soon, whether good or bad. On September 9th I awoke and checked my emails to find that I was a successful applicant. I had been offered a Games Maker role as a Sport Equipment member for the Wrestling Test Event! I emailed my dad right away and told my family members. I was so excited, and nervous! I had been given one week to accept the offer. Due to the response time I immediately contacted a friend who is originally from England and asked if she new of anyone I could live with. I did not want to accept the position without having somewhere to live.
A few days went by and I was beginning to get nervous, my dad told me it was a great opportunity for me in my career path and I should accept, if the Lord wants me to go He will provide what I need. So I logged onto the website and accepted my Sport Equipment role. I was ecstatic that I had been offered a role, nervous for what the role would bring, and thrilled that I would get the opportunity to be in London for some pre-Olympic events.
As the months continued I started to think about the actual summer Olympics and the offers that would be made to volunteers for that. The more I dwelt on it the more nervous I began to get as I quickly realized that being invited to a “Test Event” does not automatically entitle one to a volunteer position for the summer Olympics. So of course I automatically started thinking “this might be it, I wont actually get to go to the Olympics.” Another thought that crossed my mind was “what if I was on the edge and they are inviting me to the Test Event to see how I do? Maybe they wont like me once I actually get to work at the Test Event?” These are just a few thoughts I had during the waiting period.
Every now and then I would receive email updates saying that they hadn’t forgotten about us, or don’t worry if you haven’t heard from us in a while, there are a lot of applicants to sort through. General emails that everyone receives, always what a person anxiously waiting important news wants to receive. Offers continue to be made until March of 2012; I had a long time to wait. 

No comments:

Post a Comment