Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Summer has Started


Finals week was stressful. I’m glad its over. I don’t do well with tests, they always stress me out and I’m not a very good test-taker anyways. I had Monday free of exams to practice and study, which I did all day long. Luckily I had fellow students studying with me, which at times helped. Sometimes it was a distraction but it was more helpful than disruptive.
            My first exam, on Tuesday, was the practical I had to take, with this exam I had to get an 80% or better to move on to the second semester of the Athletic Training program. I had prepared all day Monday and felt ready. When my turn finally came I walked in to the classroom where the scenario was taking place and needless to say, I choked.  I felt like I remembered some important things and forgot others. When I left I did not feel confident about my performance at all and was very disappointed in myself. During practicing and other scenarios I felt confident, I talked through the process and didn’t forget very much, but of course when the time came to be graded I forgot everything I had been working so hard to remember.
            Wednesday I had the written portion of my final exam for the same class the practical had been in the day before. We had the option of finding out our grades for the practical before or after we took the written. I chose before because I knew I would race through the written exam just to find out my grade. I had anticipated failing it, which I did…by 1%. 80% was a passing grade and I ended with a 79%.  Fortunately I was able to redo the practical and passed it the second time around. But during the rest of finals all I could think was how I had failed the practical the first time and that wasn’t good enough.
            Thursday brought me 2 exams, which I could have done better on. But there is always room for improvement and at the time those classes were not my priority. I did my redo practical on Friday and passed. Afterward I talked with my professor about why I had failed it the first time. He was very encouraging; again I was frustrated about failing it the first time. But the reasons I failed were not things that would drastically affect a person in a real life situation. Which I suppose is encouraging; at least I’m not going to kill anyone.
            Now summer’s here, and I don’t have to worry about exams for a little while. I’m still working at the ballet for a couple more weeks. I’ve moved home, which makes my commute to work lovely, going from a 15 min drive to 45 minutes is not the most exciting thing. But at least I can see my dog every day. And in a few weeks the ballet will start their summer program and I will move back to UWM and live in Sandburg until I leave for the Olympics in July.

Until that time I will read a lot of books, sit by the pool and get a tan, and play with my dog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment